October 23, 2013

Easy DIY Cupcake Costume - Last Minute Halloween Costume

This week I created an easy DIY Cupcake Halloween Costume. This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Cottonelle, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #CottonelleTarget  http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO.

If you're like me, then it's entirely possible that you've been so caught up in other stuff that you realized you are short a Halloween costume.  And if you're an adult (and you probably are if you're reading this) that means you will be left with VERY limited options.  Read: good luck finding a costume that doesn't make you look like some sort of promiscuous sorority girl or has more to it than just a pair of ears.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget


Never fear.  I have a crazy cute idea for you that can be made at the eleventh hour because it uses things you probably already have in your house!  This DIY cupcake costume is primarily made of...drum roll please...toilet paper!  Yes, that's right.  You almost certainly have toilet paper in your house and if you don't well, then you've got bigger problems than a lack of a Halloween costume!

Okay, I'll stop with the jokes.  Want to know how to make this fluffy frosted cupcake? I'll show you how right now.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

First I took some craft paper and created a template for the cupcake.  I just used a ruler to make the straight lines of the cupcake wrapper and two different sizes of plates to create the frosting shape.  Adapt the size of the plates to how big you want the costume to be.  I made mine adult sized (don't judge) and just to give you an idea of scale, one of the sides of the cupcake wrapper part measures 12 inches.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

I folded the kraft paper over to double it up and then proceeded to cut out my shape.  This way I would have 2 pieces with double the strength.  Of course if you have a large piece or cardboard or poster board handy you can use that too.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

Next, I taped up the edges to hold the pieces together and give it a cute look.  Yes, I used washi tape.  By now I'm sure you're used to seeing it everywhere.  Of course you can use plain old tape or glue if you prefer.  I'm all about just using whatever you have to work with when it comes to crafts.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

Next I grabbed some fluffy toilet paper and starting ripping it off into individual sheets.  This is an excellent task to shop out to a young child.  It's not child labor if they are having fun.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.  I was using the new Cottonelle Triple Rolls of toilet paper and I didn't even need the whole roll.  It's thick, fluffy and just perfect for creating frosting.  I found it at Target, where all good things come from.  I simply pinched the pieces in the middle and glued them on to the cupcake outline.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

My secret weapon was a glue stick.  I used an Elmer's Xtreme glue stick, which I guess is sticker than your average one.  I probably would have been fine with just a regular glue stick but let me tell you, this stuff just stuck right on there and is not coming off any time soon.  So much faster and easier than using regular glue! I smeared a big area with it and plopped the pieces of Cottonelle right on there.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

And I was able to do all of this in about 30 minutes.  Seriously, it's easier than it looks.  If you see any places that look like they have a gap just stick another piece of toilet paper in there.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

To make the cupcake wrapper I used the scrap from when I cut out the original cupcake shape.  You can also use an old brown paper grocery bag for this.  Snip it apart and use the blank side of it.  Yes, you get bonus repurposing points for this.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

After I folded up my paper, accordion style I stretched it out and cut the ends to make it fit the cupcake shape.  I glued it on to the base and bam.  Humongous and very realistic cupcake wrapper.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

Here comes the fun part.  What would a craft on this site be if it didn't somehow have crepe paper?  I swear I do not have a secret crepe paper sponsor...though by now I really should!  I grabbed a few bright colors from my giant stash and snipped off some crepe paper sprinkles.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

I took  those and attached them randomly to the "frosting" on my cupcake with some little glue spots and that was it - I had a giant, fluffy, amazing cupcake.    Add a halter style piece of ribbon and you are good to go.  I'll be wearing this to Kayla's preschool Halloween carnival next week and I guarantee you that there won't be another one like it there!  Oh and of course you could make a child sized one.  I mean, I am pretty much a giant child though...clearly.

Mommy Testers Easy DIY cupcake costume, Make a costume with toilet paper, toilet paper costume, DIY Cupcake costume, Cottonelle Costume, #CottonelleTarget

You can check out a mini version I made of this costume on Kayla in this DIY Halloween Costume segment on Fox 5 San Diego - so much fun!


Pin It button on image hover