October 24, 2013

DIY Monster Recycling Containers - Fun Recycling Bins for Kids

Did you hear?  I'm starting a TerraCycle Brigade to get local children to recycle things that might otherwise not be recyclable.  To make things extra fun for them I created these DIY monster recycling bins and I'll show you how to make them...they're easy, I promise!

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,



I chose to use swing top trash cans so it was easy for the kids to put their items inside and there were no pinched fingers from lids that actually close.  To start I grabbed a glue stick and some crepe paper.  The answer to almost anything in our home is crepe paper.  I simply rubbed glue on the bin and started winding the crepe paper around it, adding more glue as I went.

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

It took me about 15-20 minutes to glue and crepe paper my way around the entire bin.  I highly recommend the Xtreme Glue Stick from Elmer's.  It's extra sticky and gets the job done.  You'll be left with a brightly colored can.

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

Now for the slightly more complicated part.  You'll wrap the swing top with crepe paper.  I just used strips slightly longer than how far I needed to go.  I trimmed them and glued them under so the lid could swing properly.

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

Next I cut out a few circles to make an eye and some spiky hair.  I just used some thick paper and that blue piece is actually a colorful paper plate left over from one of my many parties.  Get creative here.  Give your monster different hair, two or three eyes...whatever makes you smile.  That's the goal after all, right?

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

I used some packing tape to stick the eye and hair on the swing top lid and that was it!  In fact I had so much fun doing it that I made my monster a buddy.  I have a feeling that these will be the perfect motivation to get kids to recycle.  If you make your own please let me know how it goes and send me a picture, I would love to see it!

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

Want to save this idea to your Pinterest board for another day?  Here's a great photo to help you remember how to make this cute DIY monster recycling bin.

Mommy Testers DIY recycling bin, DIY Monster recycling bin, Monster recycling container, cute recycling bin, recycling bin for kids,

Pin It button on image hover