January 18, 2013

Are you in need of a date night? I know, silly question!

Man, it has been a a stressful couple of weeks in our home!  I won't bore you with all of the reasons why because my guess is that you may be feeling the same way.  The highlights include a birthday party with 50 guests, 4 days of a sick child and a babysitter who just headed off to Mexico for a 5 month vacation.

Mommy Testers date night at home with Campbell's Skillet Sauce #dinnerin15 #cbias

You read that correctly, we're stressed and babysitter-less.  In an effort to appear as the eternal optimist in our home, the other day I decided to surprise my husband with a date night at home.  And then I committed myself to that ludicrous fantastic plan by leaving this note on the door to our garage for him to find on his way to work in the morning.

Mommy Testers date night at home note #dinnerin15 #cbias

No, this was not some clever, well thought out plan.  In fact, I had no idea what we would be eating or how I'd make our  "date night" different from all other nights.  However, I was determined to follow through so after dropping Kayla at preschool I headed to the closest grocery store, Albertsons to come up with a plan.

We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home and I frequently use ground turkey in my cooking, but after stuffed peppers, tacos and meatballs all with ground turkey in the last week or so I wanted something different.  While I was checking out the marinades and praying for inspiration I saw this Campbell's Skillet Sauce across the way in the gravy section and went in for a closer look.

Mommy Testers  cooking chicken with Campbell's Creamy Chipotle Skillet Sauce #dinnerin15 #cbias

I'm getting better in the kitchen these days but still have a long way to go.  Did you know I lived in an NYC apartment for over 3 years and never once used the oven?  Baby steps, right?  While I've mastered a bunch of dishes I'm not very adventurous for fear of destroying the illusion I have created for my husband that I actually can cook.

However, the truth is that if it doesn't have garlic and olive oil as the base I'm a bit lost.  Plus, I hear there is a whole flavor palate outside of garlic!  And wouldn't it be nice to get through a night of cooking without garlic and onion peels all over the counter and a sink full of dishes?  So I grabbed this southwest inspired Creamy Chipotle Skillet Sauce, which promises dinner in 15 minutes or less and with just three steps...I'll take it!

Mommy Testers browning chicken for Campbell's Skillet Sauce #dinnerin15 #cbias

Back at home all I had to do was cut up the chicken and let it brown in a little bit of vegetable oil.  Campbell's suggests 1 tablespoon of oil, but I used half of that for 2 chicken breasts and it was just fine.  After that I stirred in the Skillet Sauce, brought it up to a boil and then switched the heat to low to let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

Mommy Testers date night at home table settings  #dinnerin15 #cbias

I used my 5 minutes to shop my buffet which is filled with fancy serving pieces, cheese slates and candles that I desperately needed when we got married, but we hardly ever use.  I picked out a few easy pieces, lit some candles, poured some wine and put on Wonder Pets for Kayla (her newest obsession) so we could have 30 minutes of uninterrupted peace.

Mommy Testers date night at home with Campbell's Skillet Sauce Creamy Chipotle Chicken #dinnerin15 #cbias


It was a nice night.  We got to drink a glass of wine, kick back and talk about everything that's been going on without being interrupted by Kayla every other minute declaring "I need to tell you something" at an increasingly louder volume.

The best part was that I didn't feel stressed from putting together some difficult meal since this dinner came together so quickly.   I think it might have even been slightly less than 15 minutes which teaches me that we can do date night at home with very little effort.  Also, saving the $60 I would normally spend on a babysitter is kind of awesome!


Mommy Testers sides to go with Campbell's Skillet Sauce Creamy Chipotle Chicken #dinnerin15 #cbias

Are you wondering how that chicken turned out yet?  Let me say that we're a tough crowd and it was pretty great.  Definitely exceeded my expectations/cooking skills.  I put the chipotle chicken over some quick cooking jasmine rice and it was a good pairing.

It's got a little spicy kick to it that's neither wimpy nor overly spicy...just right.  I balanced it out with a little leftover kale salad from the night before.  Did you know that since kale is so thick and tough it's one of the few leafy green veggies that work the next day?  I promise to share a great kale salad recipe with you soon!  Yes, it involves olive oil and garlic :)

Mommy Testers date night at home with Campbell's Skillet Sauce #dinnerin15 #cbias

If you're thinking of trying out Campbell's Skillet Sauce for an easy #dinnerin15 for two (or 3 with a little person) there are six different varieties: Creamy Chipotle, Fire Roasted Tomato, Toasted Sesame, Marsala, Scampi and Thai Green Curry.  And I think you should know that while shopping I found a coupon for $2 off any fresh steak, chicken or shrimp when you purchase one of the Skillet Sauce flavors in the month of January.  I was even able to use it on my annoyingly expensive organic chicken!

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop
has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for CollectiveBias® and Campbell’s #cbias #SocialFabric everything you see here is my personal and picky opinion.  
Pin It button on image hover